Team Building with Angsana Laguna Phuket
Team Building with Angsana - October 8th 2011, Phuket.
Learning with Mission
Making Teams was appraoched by Angsana in 2011 to arrange a management training weekend for its executive team, coinciding with the opening of a new hotel and a new brand. Senior management wanted the team to come together and examine the company values and focus on mission goals and targets for the following year.
Team Building Objectives:
- To practice setting and reaching targets.
- To experience the need for change management and moving out of a comfort zone
- To understand each other better and learn about other’s behaviour
- To consider ways to be more innovative and creative in addressing problems
- To work on cooperation and communication
- To consider ways in which these skills can be translated into a work environment
Angsana Mission Statement
“We want to build a globally recognized brand which by inspiring exceptional experiences among our guests, instilling pride and integrity in our associates, and enhancing both the physical and human environments in which we operate, will deliver attractive returns to our shareholders.”
Angsana Core Values
We arrived in the Le Meridien resort in Khao Lak on Friday the 7th, and spent most of the day setting up the areas to be used for the team building workshop. These would be a lakeside restaurant which we were taking over for the day, the beach and several salas in the beach side restaurant.
On Friday evening the team got together for a group dinner on the beach, where Making Teams facilitators got to mix and meet with the Angsana team in a get to know you ice-breaking session.
Saturday 8 am
Activity 1: Ice breaking & understanding each other
Blindfold DiSC. This was an activity to learn about each other under difficult circumstances when busy, based on DiSC behavioural analysis. Team members were blindfolded, as one group, standing closely together. The facilitator then read out pairs of words, for example "calm" and "energetic". Participants then grouped themselves into two sets with other people who identified with the same word. During the debrief, teams had to remember which people picked which of the two words. Objectives were to improve understanding and listening skills.
Activity 2: Listen, confirm and anticipate
Don't touch me. Participants had to listen carefully, follow instructions, be proactive and anticipate problems while thinking outside the box. The challenge was to re-arrange the team around an object in the shortest possible time whilst not touching each other.
Exercise 1: Write a "listening" team mission statement
The teams now had to write their first mission statement, based on one of their core values. This statement would put into operation the skills they had focused on in activities 1 and 2, and provide an action plan for following the core values in 2012.
Pay Attention to the Guest Needs
- Be observant and alert
- Ask questions
- Listen carefully, confirm and repeat requests
- Offer service before guest requests for it
- Note guest Likes & Dislikes and share with team members
Saturday 10.15 to 12.00 pm
Activity 3: Communicate and focus on details
Minefield. This is a classic team building activity to learn about communication, details, observation and alertness.
Exercise 2: Write a "detail" mission statement
- Listen attentively
- Be very observant and alert
- Check, double check, and triple check
- Pay attention to guest information
- Be thorough in following standards
- Note guest behaviour: their likes, dislikes, and needs
13.00 to 15.00 pm
Activity 4: Work as a team and cooperate to reach targets
Frenzy. This is an activity to practice knowing your goals, working as a team and performance.
Exercise 3: Write a "teamwork" mission statement
Make Teamwork Your Responsibility
- Start with yourself
- Help each other out
- Do not point fingers or blame others for mistakes
- Know your job goals, your department goals, and your hotel goals
- Keep track of actual performance
- Think about how you can help the other teams and yours
Activity 5: Time management
Keypunch. An activity for time keeping and meetings goals.
Exercise 4: Write a "cooperation" mission statement
Be On Time Always observe punctuality in all areas of work
- Practice self-discipline
- Always complete tasks as early as you can
- Be at work at least 15 minutes before you are due to start your day
- Try not to let others wait for you 100% of the time
15.15 to 17.00 pm
Activity 6: Standards, safety and consistency
Toxic waste. Our activity to practice cooperation, safety standards and consistency.
Exercise 5: Write a "standards" mission statement
Maintain Cleanliness and Safety Standards
- Know your safety standards and observe these CONSISTENTLY
- Practice "Clean as You Go" in your work area
- Encourage each other to observe cleanliness and safety at all times.
17.00 to 17.30 pm
Present mission statements and close
“This workshop really gives us something to focus on next year. By making targets and plans for each of our core values, we will be able to bring them to life in our daily work.”
Jerry John - General Manager