Team Building with Le Meridien Khao Lak
Team Building with Le Meridien - December 15th 2011, Khao Lak.
Change, leadership, communication, support, trust
Making Teams was asked to host a farewell event for the outgoing GM. As the team was changing hands and leader, the theme of the event was change, leadership, communication, support and trust.
13.00 Warm up. This activity focused on changing teams, with the concept that in order to restructure we have to break down some existing barriers and groups.
Almost infinite circle. An activity where two team members are tied together and have to separate to emphasize creative and critical thinking. After a while we debriefed and gave clues, for example " Is the circle closed?" We then allowed people to try again, and coached several teams. Finally we allowed successful teams to teach others the trick!
13.30. A briefing with the need for leadership, creative thinkers, planning and communication.
Snake. In this game, all people are tied together. We asked the team to make three knots in the rope. After the finish we debriefed the results.
14.00 Examine the role of change.
Change wave. In the briefing we emphasised support, changing teams and circumstances, helping each other and being willing to change.
14.45 Focus on leadership. communication and change
Blind hotel. In the main activity which we created for Le Meridien, we wanted to show the role of personal leadership and the importance of cooperation. First we had set up 'a hotel' with four departments, laid out in an area of about 100 metres squared. We gave instructions to Torsten and handed out blindfolds to all other team members. Torsten assigned managers who took off their blindfolds. The group then had 10 minutes to make its strategy, e.g. roles, groupings, tasks etc.
- Pour 20 glasses of wine. Carry trays one by one to the two rooms.
- Set up luggage at each bed, one set on the rack, in the right rooms.
- Two rooms must be set up with equipment, beds and furnishings.
- Give a spa facial and foot bath. Prepare ingredients.
Blind Hotel Instructions
- Your team and you will run the blind hotel. You are the General Manager.
- Get your team together, and have everyone put on a blindfold except the GM.
- There will be 5 departments in the hotel; F&B, Spa, FO, Eng and HK.
- You must assign 5 managers who may take off their blindfolds.
- You must assign two people as guests.
- You have 30 minutes to complete all tasks and prepare the guest’s rooms.
- Managers may talk but not touch.
- Staff may not remove their blindfolds.
- You may assign your team where you want to finish the tasks in time.
- You have 10 minutes to discuss your strategy with your team.
“The blind hotel activity was ideal for considering team work within a hotel. We want people to cooperate and join any department when they need to, so this idea and looking at cross training is very important.”
Torsten Richter, GM